hostgator coupons BATAS: Lost In Thought ~ Opus Arise

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Lost In Thought ~ Opus Arise


Lost In Thought
Opus Arise
2011
 ~

I was lost in thought when I found myself thinking about the region of Wales in the U.K., and it occurred to me that many things that I love come from there. It's where the BBC films Doctor Who and Torchwood, is full of mythology and castles (which are perfect for the metal genre), and if I was to go backpacking there, I wouldn't be attacked and turned into a werewolf, (since that happens on the complete opposite side of the UK). To add to my list of cool things about Wales, I now have Lost In Thought.

Lost in Thought play a brand of progressive power metal that fans of Pagan's Mind, Seventh Wonder, and Circus Maximus will find appealing. Despite Opus Arise being the band's debut CD, the songs show a depth and maturity that you'd expect from a group with a few releases under its belt and because of this, Lost In Thought make a great first impression.

It is quite obvious from the first notes of the first song, "Beyond The Flames", that Lost In Thought is full of musicians that make full use of their talents, but don't go so far overboard that the average listener gets lost in confusing musical concepts. Opus Arise has its full on metal moments (such as "Entity") and shows its softer side in moments like "New Times Awaken". While I would have liked a couple more blisteringly fast songs, it was just not to be. For the most part, Lost In Thought play mid-tempo melodic progressive metal with plenty of time changes and unique musical progressions.

Opus Arise is an impressive debut CD that will satisfy the prog-rocker in you and more. Perhaps their next album will bring a few more full-tilt tracks to satisfy my hunger for speed, but in the meantime, I'll just listen to Opus Arise and dream of castles.

~ ~ ~

Live Long and Rock Hard,
SpaceKev


Space Kev's Rating: 8.5 out of 10